Friday, December 5, 2008

Colic???

Well...since the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, Natalie has been a very fussy baby. It started suddenly and has stayed with her ever since. Usually she cries after eating, especially in the evenings. She sleeps pretty well at night...waking up only once or twice.

We've tried everything...swaddling, not swaddling, swinging, bouncing, singing, crying, burping, playing, silence, different beds, different positions...etc. Nothing ever works...EXCEPT putting her over your shoulder. That usually calms her down...but doesn't put her to sleep.

I have been extremely frustrated/worried with this. Finally I called the pediatrician in tears yesterday (a week & 2 days after the onset) & they told me to bring her in. Initially the Nurse Practitioner agreed it was colic. We discussed (well...I cried) different methods to get her to calm. I expressed my need to just know she was healthy. Turns out she weighs a whopping 10 lbs 6 oz!!! The NP listened to her heart, lungs & tummy...all checked out fine. Then she checked the ears. It appears that she has a double ear infection! Poor girl! I thought...YEAH...we can give her antibiotics & she will be fine! NOPE...apparently they don't like to give antibiotics to 4 week olds. SOOOO...we go back on Monday to check her out. They think its viral...we'll see!

Nurse orders were:
Mylecon gas drops 4 times a day
Gripe water drops 4 times a day
Tylenol if she is crying uncontrolably for the earache

I'm just happy to know that her vitals seem fine. To show us she really is ok...she slept 6 hours straight last night! 9:30-3:30! we needed that since we only got 2-3 hours of sleep the night before!!

I've been so bummed because its hard to enjoy a screaming baby. When I mean enjoy...I mean love on her & play. Today I got to!! She smiled a few times & has started cooing. I actually cried with pure joy! Maybe this is the start of things getting better. I sure hope this colic doesn't last for 3 months. This week & a half has been horrible!

2 comments:

Amber said...

After reading this the first thing that came to my mind was acid reflux. Especially since holding her up-right makes her feel better. It might be an interesting item be ask the DR. about!! I know my cousin Dustin had it and as soon as they figured out what it was and got him some medicine he was great!
Can't wait to see you guys =)

Janet said...

They don't think its reflux because she sleeps well at night & doesn't spit up ALL the time. However, she has spit up a lot today...I'm going to ask the Dr. on Monday to be sure!